Our Independent Study projects were due this Thursday, so excepting the actual presentation of our projects on Tuesday, all the stress and sleep deprivation can cease, theoretically. I have yet to find a single student who finds the IS to be remotely beneficial, and more than a few are rather vocal about how IS is essentially the single most-hated aspect of HIF. Basically, every week we get into small support groups (assigned at the beginning of the program) for an extra hour after school and discuss what we've accomplished for our project over the past week, fill out a report that gets progressively harder to BS as you run out of original things to say that you've accomplished. Additionally, you have a weekly IS meeting with your sensei to discuss your weekly progress yet again, all building up to a final presentation (video, manga, whatever the heck, although most people opt for an easy powerpoint).
The whole point of IS is to get you to talk to locals and do interviews while immersing yourself in Japanese culture, but most people half-ass the project so much I honestly don't think it's remotely beneficial. If anything, it requires such a large time commitment that it causes undue stress and detracts from time that might better be spent studying Japanese or spending time with your host family or exploring Hakodate---i.e., cultural immersion. FAIL. It's worth 10% of your grade and it's a pass/fail where so long as you submit something, you can't go wrong. Juan was actually considering just taking the 10 point grade deduction and not doing the project altogether, but as it is he said he's barely done anything more for IS than he would have already been doing (martial arts stuff with his host-dad), although after much arguing with the sensei about his choice of project.
In any case, the whole JJapanese tendency to shamelessly stare at 外人may seem insignificant, but when it happens so very often, it's very noticeable, and for some, extremely irritable. While I only experience this when I'm accompanied by other non-Asian HIFers, I find the situation amusing more than anything else, and I definitely laughed when tall, white Julia said some schoolboy caught sight of her and crashed his bike, but I know for some the whole situation is anything but funny. Sarah K. (grad student from UChicago?) gets extremely upset, and Thanu who is very obviously Sri Lankan and foreign has even overheard people talking about the scary looking インド人 which she found undestandably highly offensive, particularly given the fact that her Japanese is probably the best out of anybody's in the entire program. Sometimes it doesn't even stop at staring, but some people without any qualms point their cameras in your direction and snap photo after photo.
つまり, it isn't something that bothers me but then again I'm pretty tolerant and laidback (read: lazy and apathetic) until they reach an extreme, which according to David and Katie is why I end up having to deal with so many creepy stalkers and awkward situations so often. Katie says I have to "wear my tiara" and not be as nice and accessible (read: lazy and apathetic) so they don't get any foolish ideas. Oh well. More about Japanese culture later, including updates about culture classes (Tea Ceremony, Igo, and Ikebana-Flower Arrangement) to follow later once I've uploaded pictures onto my computer to supplement them.

"I think that at least to some minor degree, a lot of us are becoming more Japanese-like in some respects."
ReplyDeleteIt's interesting, isn't it, when you begin to see stuff like that happen?